Project Description

The S&W Cafeteria was built at 52-58 Patton Ave. from 1927-1928. S&W Cafeteria was Dale’s Cafeteria in the 1940’s then went back to S&W Cafeteria in 1945. The S&W Cafeteria was a very popular place to eat until it changed locations in 1974. The plaque on the sidewalk facing the cafeteria reads: “Considered by many as architect Douglas Ellington’s most outstanding design, the S&W Building was constructed for a pioneering cafeteria chain in 1929. Ellington wrote that the art deco facade and interior had the deliberate ‘note of gaiety’ appropriate for this popular gathering place.” The S&W Cafeteria was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.